Thursday, March 22, 2018

Leaving a Legacy in Life & in Writing


by Henry McLaughlin @RiverBendSagas

Have you ever wondered about what kind of legacy you’re leaving? I mean more than an estate or an inheritance we bequeath to our children or our church.

I’m thinking more along the lines of how will people remember us. Maybe a better phrasing is how do we want to be remembered? Have you ever thought of that?

The legacy we leave is very simple. It stems from the many choices we make every day. Does God’s Word fill our actions and decisions?

We are faced with choices every day. A few are major. Many seem relatively small. So small, in fact, we may ask do I need to bother God with this? He wants us to. Each decision is a choice to go with Christ or against him. Does he sit on the throne of our hearts?

We can’t be perfect. 
But we can be purposeful.

We can immerse ourselves in his Word so we make choices from love, not from our own selfishness. Having his Word infused in me means I can stop myself from choosing out of anger or pride. Instead, I can choose to offer kindness even when the other person, in the natural, doesn’t deserve it. God has saved me and forgiven me way more than I deserved (see Psalm 103:10 NLT).

This immersion requires us to sit before him and let him show us our hidden sins so he can cleanse us from them. He wants to cleanse us so we can walk in all he has for us and leave the legacy he wants us to leave.

What kind of legacy are you leaving? What do you want to be known for?

TWEETABLES
Leaving a legacy in life & in #writing - @Henry McLaughlin, @RiverBendSagas on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Leaving a legacy doesn't mean being perfect, only purposeful - thoughts from @RiverBendSagas (Click to Tweet)

Henry’s debut novel, Journey to Riverbend, won the 2009 Operation First Novel contest. 

He serves as Associate Director of North Texas Christian Writers. 


Henry edits novels, leads critique groups, and teaches at conferences and workshops. He enjoys mentoring and coaching individual writers. 


Connect with Henry on his blogTwitter and Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Henry, Inspiring post. Thank you for the reminder that we can't be perfect, but we can be purposeful. May I leave a legacy of love and dedication to our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherrilynn. I'm blessed that my post ministered to you.

      Delete
  2. Amen Mr. Henry! We forget that we build upon our legacy every day. Our won't be perfect, but it will be authentic. God's blessings sir for this awesome truth.

    ReplyDelete