Friday, June 2, 2017

Why Networking at a Writing Conference is SO Important

by Bruce Brady @BDBrady007

For years, I’ve been saying the most important reason to attend writing conferences is networking. Today, I’ll give you a real-world example that supports my stance.

Unlike the business world, I define networking as establishing new friendships, and renewing old ones—regardless of any potential monetary benefit. It’s taking a genuine interest in others, simply for the joy of getting to know them.

Keeping this definition in mind, I’ve attended many conferences. Yes, I’ve learned a lot from the seasoned professionals that comprised the faculties. Yes, I’ve had opportunities to pitch my ideas to agents, editors, and publishers.

However, I’ve most enjoyed and benefited from getting to know these professionals as wonderful people. We’ve had long conversations where writing and publishing were never mentioned. Instead, we talked about our families, food, and other interests outside of writing. And because God is our Father, we’re family.

So, what’s the real-world example I promised? I’m glad you asked.

This year, the Lord blessed me with a week-long family reunion at the Florida Christian Writers Conference. I was overwhelmed by the pure joy of being surrounded by loved ones. And, like any family reunion, I had the pleasure of meeting many new family members.

One of those family members, a publisher friend, and I were chatting while walking to our rooms. We talked about what we’d been up to since we last saw each other. As we neared our rooms, he asked what I was working on. Completely unprepared to pitch my work in progress (WIP), I stumbled through a brief synopsis.

He then asked if I had it access to it. I did. He asked me to send him a few pages to look at, promising to “rip it up.” Or was it “rip it to bits.” I said I’d appreciate his feedback—and meant just that. I expected nothing more than good advice.

Whenever a more experienced writer offers to critique your work, be thankful. Even if their criticism hurts, it’s always helpful.

Circumstances prevented us from getting together again for a couple of days. And then, our conversation had to take place amid a small group. Never mentioning whether he liked my writing, he said he’d like to see an older, more arrogant, almost hostile protagonist, whose attitude stemmed from a terminal illness.

I told him I’d consider it. Then, we continued talking about our personal lives. He didn’t ask me to submit any chapters. And I didn’t ask. I was simply grateful that he took the time to read and critique my few pages.

This all took place in February. On May 22, he sent me an email that read, “Bruce, here is your book contract.” I was so surprised, I was sure he sent it to me by mistake. I emailed him back saying, “If I didn't receive this contract in error, I have a couple of questions.” Then asked for clarification as to which story he wanted.

When I clearly understood what he wanted, I printed and signed the contract.

God and I don’t have an exclusive contract. I’m not the only one who may receive a publishing offer months after a casual conversation.

This can happen to you as well. If you remember one of the most important, if not the most important, reasons for attending writers’ conferences is networking—growing your circle of friends, old and new, seeing them not only as colleagues, but as spiritual family members. And, yes, that circle includes members of the faculty.

TWEETABLES
Why networking at a #writing conference is SO important - @BDBrady007 on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Don't miss out on one of the most important parts of a #writing conference - @BDBrady007 (Click to Tweet)

Bruce Brady
Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

24 comments:

  1. Bruce, I appreciate your approach to networking. It's other-focused, as opposed to being you-centered, and it sounds as if it's a lot more fun and life-giving. Thanks for sharing your story -- and congratulations on your contract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. In my life before Christ, I was educated and trained to be me-oriented while networking for the sake of making sales and increasing profitability. The Lord has blessed me with His heart for others. Networking is no longer a stressful process of trying to generate more business, but a joyful journey of getting to know and love people of all walks. Made more pleasurable by the assurance that He will provide all I need, when I need it.

      Delete
  2. Bruce, Congratulations. I love promote and pray for my fellow writers. Attending conferences gives me the opportunity to meet them in person. I know I have my book contract and agent because I attended a writers conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherrilynn. Conferences are very important. And I love the fact that He has made them "family reunions" for me. Thanks, also, for your friendship.

      Delete
  3. Awesome!
    Bruce, I'm so please to hear that you have a contract. Having the privilege of reading your work over the years, I'm so glad the reading world will have the opportunity to enjoy your writing as well.

    Perfect proof how connecting at conferences can change lives.
    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn. I appreciate your valuable criticisms that have positively influenced my growth as a writer.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the contract, Bruce. Thank you for sharing that phenomenal experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I pray continued success for your writing and your ministry.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I love hearing stories like this. I haven't been to a conference yet, but I'm plannning on going to the Florida Christian Writer's Conference next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, C.J. God willing, I'll be there also. Please contact me when we're there. I'd love to meet you.

      Delete
  6. Congrats, my friend. So happy for you. And great advice on the importance of networking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. It's friends like you that keep me going and growing. I appreciate the influence you've had on my life, and the impact you've had on countless writers.

      Delete
  7. What an amazing story. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Your post is timely as I'm headed to the SoCal Writers conference in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly. When you're there, see everyone as a friend you haven't met yet. Learn as much as you can, and focus on starting meaningful relationships, more than how many new people you can meet. God bless you.

      Delete
  8. That is so awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I appreciate your friendship and prayers. It's people like you that make conferences such an awesome experience for me.

      Delete
  9. This is such a great story! Congratulations on huge news! So happy for you and excited to see this story continue to unfold! Thank you for sharing this with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I'm so encouraged by this article. Thank you and praying many blessings over you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. That's an amazing witness as to how important it is to relax and talk with those at a conference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for and proud of you, Bruce! Put me down for my own signed copy. :-) Hope to see you back around here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't agree more, Bruce! And congratulations on the contract! I've found that not only networking as you've described but supporting your fellow writers (not with the intent for gain, but sincerely). I met the publisher for my series because my roomie and I decided to go up to BR a day early and celebrate a writer friend's first book signing with her. Turned out her publisher was there (I don't think that is the norm at all...) and we got to chatting, she asked how we knew the writer, we mentioned we were in the area for BR and she asked what we were working on. A few sentences later, she scribbled her email on a scrap of paper and asked me to send a proposal and the full and she'd take a look at it. I'd never recommend hitting all your friends' book signings in the hope of meeting and pitching to their publishers - but supporting and encouraging others along the way is a great way to build friendships. And I'm living proof that you never know how God will introduce you to the right person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As narrators,we go thru the same networking anxiety...but with both authors AND publishers! But God blessed me in so many ways, with two careers I've loved and He's guided me toward the most fascinating people... at networking events! Thanks for your spot on advice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic article, Bruce. The many friendships made at writers' conferences have brought a skilled critique group. publishing opportunities, and an enlarged troop of prayer warriors. For me, most of these quietly presented themselves when I least expected them.
    I believe if we continue seeking God first, building relationships with others, and honing our craft, the doors will open. Then, we must be brave enough to walk through them.
    Congratulations on your contract, Bruce! Keep pressing forward, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bruce, as always you've encouraged me. Your focus stays true--on Whose family we are, & the opportunities for kinship first, writing craft second. Congratulations on the contract, and let us know when your book comes out!

    ReplyDelete