Friday, June 9, 2017

Save Valuable Time on Social Media & Blogging with These Tips

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson


So often we make things more difficult than they have to be. That’s especially true with social media. 

Many writers have the idea that social media is difficult and time-consuming. But the truth is it doesn’t have to be. So today I’m sharing how to save valuable time on social media and blogging.

I’ve broken my tips up into two categories. The first pertains to time-saving tips for you. The second is time-saving tips for those reading your blog—making it much more likely that your post will get shared by others.

Keeping it Simple for Yourself
1. Use a scheduling program. Yes, there is a small learning curve, but you’ll more than make up that time in just a couple of days. A scheduling program, like Hootsuite or Buffer, does so much more than just schedule your social media updates—although that alone is enough to justify using one. It also cuts down on the time needed to shorten links, checking thumbnail images, etc.

2. Use the same format for all your updates. I know this sounds like a turn off to those receiving your updates, but bear with me while I explain why. When we have a default way of formatting all our updates, it’s faster to compose them. Also, even though all my updates are laid out the same way, they’re not showing up in other feeds close together so no one notices. My default format is this:

Headline + Attribution (who wrote the blog post, Bible verse info, name of the person quoted, etc) + Link + Hashtags.

I may vary slightly and hashtag a word within the headline, but other than that, I usually stick to this format.

3. Share the same update on multiple networks. Yep, you read that right. I compose one update and share the exact same one on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ (the three networks I update to regularly). The truth is this: no one is on multiple networks at the exact same time. And even if they see the same update somewhere else, they’re not likely to remember it. 

4. Use a blog post title as the headline part of your update. When I’m pressed for time, I try to stick with the blog post title as my headline. I may add a word for clarification, but if the post I’m going to share doesn’t have a decent title—and I’m pressed for time—I move on and just don’t share it. As far as adding a word for clarification, here’s an example where that might be necessary. If the blog post title is something ambiguous like, Your Professional and Online Presence (which could pertain to almost anything) I would add, Your Professional and WRITING Online Presence. This way those reading my update would know immediately that what I’m sharing pertains to publishing.

Keeping It Simple for Others
1. Compose titles that also make a good social media update. Others are much more likely to share your post (and reshare) if your title is clear and focused. An added benefit is that titles which are clear and focused are also more likely to rank higher in a search engine.

2. Include a TWEETABLE or CLICK TO TWEET somewhere within your blog post. Again, this just makes it much more likely that your post will get shared by others.

3. Include a header/featured image with the title of your blog post and the URL of your site. Just like the other tips, this will greatly increase the likelihood of others sharing your post.
These are my favorite time-saving tips when it comes to social media. I’d love to hear yours. Share them in the comments section below.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES

4 comments:

  1. There's a reason why your blog sidebar is filled with accolades, Edie. :) Thank you for these tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy you are such an encourager!! Thank you, blessings, E

      Delete
  2. when i look at my early posts, i am aghast!!! no header at all! no hashtags - didn't even know what they were! LOL I reformatted everything last last year so that my header is uniform, only the date and feature different, and the particular for that day (BLOGWORDS – Sunday 11 June 2017 – FRONT PORCH FELLOWSHIP – OUR FATHER.) i also have a PPT doc for my banners so they are all uniform in size and appearance. and yes, i use a master template for all my posts, too, so even that is uniform and consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I look back and feel a similar feeling of what-was-I-thinking??? You're doing awesome and it's not a bad thing to learn as we go! Blessings, E

      Delete