Sunday, June 7, 2015

What is Blossoming in Your Sound Garden?

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, Sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24

What's blossoming in your sound garden?
As a writer, words are my lifeline. I spend hours with them. As I put them on paper, they help me bring order out of the chaos that is life. I use them to bless, to inform, and to challenge. At times it seems that the tapping of my fingers on the keys of my computer echo the heartbeat of my soul.
Words have a way of hanging around. The things spoken or read linger in our minds and our hearts, stirred by the experiences of life. These words can bring hope, lifting our spirits when times are tough.

But words don’t always heal, they can also wound.

Like most of you reading this, I’ve been the victim of those debilitating words. I still bear the scars of things said

Lately, I’ve become more deliberate about the words that I allow to take up residence in my mind. But some of those negative words are like weeds, with deep roots that are hard to get rid of.

Of course, reading scripture is my first line of defense against the negative messages that try to burrow deep in my mind. But in addition, I've found that I also need to hear the encouraging words of others. Spoken words carry such power.

I'm blessed to be part of a group of women who meet together weekly at a local coffee shop. We pray for each other, we encourage each other and we help each other process life. It’s the words we share that have begun to blossom in my life, choking out the weeds.

These women are quick to praise, and just as quick to point out the truth in any given situation. Their words—to me specifically and to others in the group—are like seeds planted in my heart. As time goes by, those words have taken root and grown, surrounding me with an incredible sound garden. They remind me that God speaks to us in many ways and through many people.

My soul echoes with the whispers of words of Bible verses shared, encouragement given during difficult times, and always truth spoken in love. The sweet scent of the words shared in this group are a healing aroma to my soul. And their blossoms are so abundant I've been able to share them with others.

Now something for you to consider. What are the words echoing in your soul? Today resolve to become more deliberate about what’s blossoming in your sound garden.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a weekly writers group that has evolved into more than just a critique group. We pray for each other, sharing our lives, not just our writing. The bonds of love and compassion help us speak encouragement and wisdom into each other.

    ReplyDelete