Sunday, March 10, 2013

Weekend Worship—Solid Ground


You have not given me into the hands of the enemy, but have set my feet in a spacious place. Psalm 31:8

My husband and I love living here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We enjoy hiking and camping and all manner of outdoor activities. While the boys were young we always tried to set aside at least one weekend a year for the two of us to slip away. Frequently that getaway took place in the mountains.

One year, we decided to take that time and camp in the Smoky Mountains. We spent that Saturday hiking. We had decided to try out a trail that was a little more strenuous than what we normally chose. It was a gorgeous morning when we started out and, although the trail was steep, it wasn’t unmanageable.

We continued along the trail, which became so steep I began to wonder how the view from the top of any mountain could be worth this type of climb. As we neared the summit, the trail was so precarious ropes had been added to the rock face to give hikers a place to hold onto. Not my idea of a relaxing way to spend time, but we were already committed so we decided to stick it out.

We let go of the last rope and scrambled the last few feet to the top of the mountain. Suddenly we were standing on flat, solid ground with an amazing vista laid out before us. We could see part of the trail below and the mountain we’d just climbed. Also, as far as the eye could see, lay the gray blue outlines of the mountains. They were highlighted with intense bursts of red and orange from the fall foliage. It was a sight that took my breath away, and had definitely been worth the climb.


So often when we’re in the midst of seemingly insurmountable trials we forget the resources we have in God. But He will always rescue us, providing the handholds we need and even pulling us up. Then, setting us firmly on firm ground, with a new perspective of all that’s passed before.

What trials are you climbing through? Ask God to give you His perspective and be prepared to be wowed!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I just went on a hike thru Angeles National Forest yesterday, not steep, but tough enough for me. I was breathing hard but at least I was breathing and the views were beautiful even without reaching any summits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - my beloved mountains and God's persepctive wrapped up in one post! I always find a measure of peace when I'm in the mountains (or their foothills as the case often is), and this was a taste I needed right now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! the hike was definitely worth the pain. God's beauty never fails to take my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the image. I once climbed a low mountain in my country and it was awesome. Not too steep a climb but it took us around four hours to get to the top and another perhaps three hours to climb down! I'd do it again if I could, at another location. I love hiking.

    ReplyDelete