Sunday, March 3, 2013

Social Media Monday—With Facebook, The Times They Are A-Changin'...AGAIN



One of the biggest complaints I hear about Facebook is the fact that it’s always changing. Well to paraphrase Bob Dylan, The Times They are a Changin’AGAIN.

Yep you read that right. Facebook is about to change once again.

Things have been fairly quiet with Facebook of late, but on March 7, Facebook is rolling out a new look for its timeline. You may be surprised to learn the luck of the current timeline has been in place since September 2011.

That’s all about to change. Facebook developers have sent out invitations to reporters for an unveiling at their Menlo Park, CA headquarters on March 7.

We don’t know what the new look will entail, Facebook hasn’t been giving any hints. But there are some guesses we can make. More and more, Facebook like other social networks, is being accessed through mobile devices. And if you’re like most of us, you’ve noticed that there are quite a few features unavailable on the mobile version.

It would make sense for Facebook to be changing that. I’ve also heard rumors that the timeline is going back to one single column instead of the two-column look. All of this is completely unverified, but as long as we know a change is coming, it’s fun to speculate.

So now let’s play a little Facebook Fantasy. If you could make any changes you wish to Facebook, what would you do? Is there something you’d add? Something you’d take away? Let’s see how close we can get to what actually happens.

And to put you in the mood for change, I've included a YouTube clip of Bob Dylan singing The Times They are a Changin’.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

12 comments:

  1. Hey Edie! Facebook changes way too often for my taste, but that's life, right? If I could change anything about Facebook, I'd make the most recent things come up on the newsfeed. They try, but it's not perfect by any means.

    Hope you have a blessed week, Edie! By the way, I really enjoyed the post. You're right. It's so much fun to speculate!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, there's a setting on FB to change your timeline from Top News to Latest News. The Latest posts things on your timeline in order. To reset this, look at the top of your timeline and you'll see the word, SORT. Click on it and choose whichever option you want. BUT, when you leave FB and return again, you'll have to rechoose because FB defaults to Top News every time.

      I hope this helps! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I'm getting old! I barely learn something new before needing to adapt to the next change. LOL
    I would love to go back to the single column look. I get confused and distracted easily. Less ads would be nice, too. Although that probably won't happen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I agree, less ads would be nice. But I'm almost certain that isn't going to happen! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. I'm soooo with you, Barb! Every time I begin to get a handle on things, they change it. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. Edie, thanks for this post! I'm with Vonda and Barb, each time I get the hang of facebook, they change something! If I could change anything, I'd love to see it go back to the way it was when I first started with it a few years ago. Love you, precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh yes, but all this change is good for keeping our brains active! Think about it -- maybe all the change will stave off Alzheimers. We may as well embrace it because we're sure to see a LOT of it as technology continues to advance.

    One older FB change that I love (and hope goes away) is the ability to assign your friends to a personal list. I rarely pull up my newsfeed any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when my fingers are faster than my brain cells -- "A change I hope NEVER goes away"

      Delete
  5. Oh no just when I thought I knew how to do it okay. I don't need anymore change. Learning Platform; learning podcasting; learning twitter and hootesuite; learning Pinterest. YIKES.
    Too funny,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis, you're right, it is overwhelming! But just remember, we don't have to become EXPERTS at anything except what God calls us to do. For most of us here, that's writing. The rest is just a means to an end. Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Change is good. It keeps us on our toes. Seriously, nothing we can do about it except hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, that's a great attitude! And it's one we all need to strive for. Thanks so much for sharing and helping us keep our perspective, Blessings, E

      Delete