Monday, March 25, 2013

Social Media Monday—9 Reasons You’re Failing at Social Media AND How to Fix it


I wish I had a nickel for every one who’s told me that Social Media just doesn’t work for them.

Let me suggest, respectfully, that you’re just going about it the wrong way.

I know it sounds harsh, but hear me out. Today I’m going to give you nine reasons you’re failing at social media and I’m going to share how to fix each one.


As you’ve heard me say many times, social media isn’t a one-size-fits-all proposition. But, that’s still not an excuse not to use it.

1. You’re not doing the basics. I teach that to have an effective social media presence on the Internet you need to do three things: Facebook, Twitter, and Blogging. The reason you must use Facebook and Twitter is because, no matter what or who you’re promoting, you’ll find almost 100% of your audience on these two networks. There may come a time, especially with Pinterest, that this changes. But it hasn’t happened yet.

You also need to be blogging someplace regularly. Notice I did NOT say you have to have a blog. I said you have to blogging somewhere, regularly. It could be a group blog or professional blog where you have a regular column. The idea is to have somewhere to send your audience so they can interact with you on a deeper level than social media. Think of it as a place to sit down and have coffee with them, to get to know each other better.

2. You’re trying to be fair. By this I mean you’re trying to spend the same amount of time on all the social networks you’re involved with. Each of us has differing personalities. I’m better at some ways of engagement than you are. For instance, I excel at Twitter, but not at Facebook. So, I spend the majority of my time on Twitter because I get a better return on investment. I don’t ignore Facebook, but I know my limitations and my strengths and I work to those.

3. You’re trying to do to much. These days we’re all busy…crazy busy sometimes. So why make yourself even crazier by trying to do it all. I remember a commercial in the 70s that showed a beautiful woman holding a frying pan, singing a song about how she can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan. The prevailing myth was women, as well as men, could do it all. Maybe some can. But I have to ask, who wants to? Not me. Work on the basics, then just add what you can handle and/or what you enjoy. Remember, this is a means to an end, not the point of your existence!

4. You have unrealistic expectations. Unless all the stars in the universe line up exactly right and spell out your name, with your blog’s URL, growing a following takes time. I had someone the other day complain because his blog wasn’t growing and he’d been consistent with posting for almost six weeks. That’s just too short a time to judge what’s working and what’s not. How long is long enough? Read point number five to find out.

5. You haven’t been at it long enough. Social media, like almost everything else has a learning curve. It takes time to learn what works for you and what doesn’t. And even beyond that, it takes time build up a following. Sure there are short cuts, but most violate the user agreements of the different social networking platforms and can get you banned—for life. And personally, I’d rather build up a solid following that sticks with me, not get some quick numbers that disappear as soon as they arrive. So what’s long enough? Six months to a year, minimum, depending on how consistent you are. And that brings me to my next point.

6. You’re not being consistent. Blogging on a schedule for six weeks isn’t long enough to growa following or even tell if you have an audience that’s interested—ESPECIALLY if you’re not also being consistent at social media. Decide how many time a week you’re going to post to your blog,  how many times a day you’re going to Tweet, and how many times a day you’re going to post to Facebook, then do it at least four days a week. How long should you do it? Minimum of six months straight. Then come to me and tell me that social media doesn’t work. At that point we’ll have something to talk about. 

7. You’re trying to do it alone. Trying to keep the schedule I mention in number five without using an ancillary program is a recipe for failure. No one I know, who has a life, can be on social media twelve hours a day. I recommend everyone use some kind of ancillary program for scheduling social media updates. I recommendHootsuite,  but I know a lot of you also like Buffer, or even TweetDeck.

8. You’re spending too much time on it. Yep, you read that right. After you come up to speed on social media, I recommend you spend NO MORE than thirty minutes a day on social networks and a one to two hour block of time, once a week, writing your blog posts for the week. Anything after that and you’re going to find yourself arrested by the social media lawof diminishing return.

9. You’re only talking about yourself. One of the biggest mistakes I see with social media is people confusing it with mass marketing. Let me ask you a question. Do you engage with people who are mass marketing on social networks or do you block them as quickly as I do? Then why think that’s the way to use social media? If you don’t like it, you can bet no one else will. Instead post things on social media that are valuable to those who follow or friend you. Talk about them, share interesting tips gleaned from others, promote other people. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I guarantee you it works. I use what I call Edie’s 5 to 1 rule. For every 1 social media updates about me, I have to post 5 about someone else. This is my NUMBER ONE HARD AND FAST RULE. Truly, social media is a return to polite society

I've listed the top 9 reasons I see people fail at social networking, what things make you follow—or unfollow—someone on social media? 

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie


24 comments:

  1. One thing that keeps me from friending someone a lot of time is the colorful language they use. Also, like you I don't like reading all about the person. I want to read about others more than themselves. Love you, precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, that's a really good reason not to friend or follow someone. And it's a lesson to the rest of us. Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. As I read through this post, I'm nodding my head and realizing you must be speaking to me. :)

    Social media is a struggle for me due to my time limitations, but I'm easing into a system that works for me. I found blogging only one day a week on a topic I'm passionate about has helped me to realize I can write ONE blog post a week, and the amazing thing is I look forward to that ONE post instead of dreading writing a week's worth of posts. So for now, I found my niche of Why Marriage Matters and staying with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I think you're doing well with your blog/social media. You're taking your time and finding what works for you—BRAVO! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. You are absolutely right, Edie. The number one thing that causes me to unfollow someone is that they are always promoting themselves. Just like writing a novel...it's the reader we have to remember. I do have a question, though. I have a Twitter that is growing and blog to which I've been consitently posting for 2 years and is growing (slowly). I also have a personal FB page. Do I need a professional FB page, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MrsP, I think you're doing good with your personal FB page. I know some people like the professional page, but for most of us it's just an added frustration. I really like your blog and think you're doing exactly what you should with social media. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Well...that helps, and is unexpectedly encouraging. I keep feeling like I'm falling short in those areas. Thanks a lot. Because of your guidance, I've figured out how to manage Twitter, too, and have doubled my followers in two weeks. Just hope to be ready when my book is edited and ready to offer up to the publishing deities....

      Delete
  4. Ugh! I have resisted twitter for lack of time to deal with it. I suppose I should heed your advice and give it a try. How do you keep your time down so low though? It take me an hour just to upload my blog post AFTER I've written it. Not feeling productive . . .

    Barb Winters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, that time is AFTER you're comfortable with your platforms. And my blogging time comes out of the 2 hours once a week. That's when I write and schedule all my posts. Sorry for the confusion. Here's a link for how I schedule my time: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com/2012/10/social-media-mondaya-social-media.html This link isn't clickable, just copy and paste it into your browser.

      I hope this helps. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. I really like this list. #8 is the one that spoke the most to me: I blog four times a week and often wait till just before deadline. I know my posts are better if i take my time but always seem to rush them. The idea of spending only two hours a week, at one time, posting all at once is appealing and I will have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, it really is freeing to know you have it all done at once. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Edie,

    Your information about social media is very informative. I have to say that I do more e-mailing than Facebook and Tweeter. I do keep up with
    my Facebook in regard to reading when there is posting, but that is about it. School and other responsibilities, plus not having a personal computer and Internet do make it rather challenging.

    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley, That would make social media quite a trial! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. A fabulously helpful post, Edie. Thank you. I'm still learning how to do things, still making mistakes, but hopefully getting better as I go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, small bites...it's all about small bites. It's so easy to get overwhelmed otherwise. Thanks so much dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Great tips, Edie. I appreciate being able to use your blog posts (like this one) as a checklist to decide how I'm doing on social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you do great with social media! I'm glad I'm able to help, too. Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. LOL! I think you changed the name to protect the guilty! And I'm the guilty! Social media is such a quick way to get our message out, but we have to find our voice and be consistent and then be patient to build an audience......Great advise once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I really wasn't talking about you! But now that I think about some of our previous conversations, it does apply. Thanks for dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Great post! I was just thinking that I needed some guidance in this area. Thank you for the "tough love" regarding being consistent and also not to pour so much time into it that we neglect other things...like improving our writing abilities, for example. And I agree, it is hard to interact with someone who shamelessly self promotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, sometimes we all the need the truth spoken with embellishment. Just remember the answer isn't the same one for all of us! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. You've certainly given me a lot to think about - and hopefully put into action soon! I opened a twitter account and a professional facebook page about a month ago but still haven't done anything with them. I keep hearing the words: "If the Devil can't make you bad, he'll make you busy" in my head and start to squirm, especially when I see housework, laundry, etc that should be done instead of getting on the computer. Blogging is new to me and I seriously LOVE it, but can only do it once per week, which works for our busy family at this present time. Thanks for sharing the 6 months - 1 year lesson to help prevent me from giving up! It's a little frustrating w/o comments, feedback, followers, etc. but I am thankful for the spikes of activity here and there in the stats! I'm learning so much on this Social Media forum - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ, it can be frustrating if you don't have an accurate way to measure your progress. It seems that so much of what we read on the net promises almost instant results. And we all struggle with the busyness curse! Thanks so much for sharing your heart, Blessings, E

      Delete
  12. This is really helpful thanks!

    ReplyDelete