Monday, March 18, 2013

Social Media Monday—5 Things I've Learned About Blogging from Duck Dynasty


I don’t know if you’ve seen the top-rated television show on A&E, Duck Dynasty, but it’s a HUGE favorite at our house. This camo-clad family has taken America by storm, and we’ve fallen in love with everyone of the Robertson Clan. Which is fairly funny when you consider the men in our house don't grow beards or hunt.


If you’re not familiar with the show, here’s how A&E describes it: The show features a Louisiana bayou family living the American dream as they operate a thriving business while staying true to their family values and lifestyle.

One of the things I like most about Duck Dynasty is the way they end each show with prayer, a meal and lessons they’ve learned that week. In the spirit of lessons learned, I’m gonna share the 5 things I've learned about blogging Duck Dynasty.
  • The Most Successful aren’t Always the Prettiest.
  • There are a lot of “professional” blog sites out there, but most of my favorites are the ones developed by the blogger. I love the sites that are quirky and represent the author and his/her message. Here’s one of my favorites, Deeper With Jesus in Rhode Island, from Lori Roeleveld. 
  • Being Yourself ALWAYS pays off. I’m not talking about money necessarily, because a lot of us aren’t in this for the money. Sure we want to make some, but let’s face it, if we wanted to be millionaires we wouldn’t have chosen writing as the way to get there. But I do have a message, something I want to share to make the world a better place. To do that, I’ve learned that I have to be myself.
  • Stick With What You Do Best. In case you’ve been living in a cave, without access to the outside world, the thing that made the Robertson family rich and famous was a duck call. Yep, Phil, the patriarch of the family patented his duck call and began making and selling them. Now they’re all millionaires. Find what you do best and take it as far as it will go.
  • When Possible, Involve Your Family.
  • Up until January, I’d have said you’d never see the day when my husband was involved in blog. It just wasn't an option. Now his column, How Writing Ruined My Wife, consistently brings in the highest number of hits on my blog. In case you haven’t caught one of his posts, they show up every Wednesday.
  • Keep Your Priorities in Order. Just like a lot of career options, writers (especially bloggers) can get sidetracked chasing the numbers. We worry about unique hits, subscribers, reach, followers. It’s important to remember why we do this.

I’ve given you a list of the things I’ve learned, anyone want to add to the list? Or how about letting us know who your favorite Robertson is. I enjoy Si’s quirkiness, Phil’s steady wisdom, but I must admit that I love Miss Kay (Phil’s wife and the matriarch of the group). There’s a lot to that Louisiana Lady!

Be sure to leave a comment below sharing your thoughts, and don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

17 comments:

  1. Duck Dynasty is also a favorite at the Baker house. Here's a lesson you may want to add: The best work is always accomplished with a cup of sweet Southern tea in hand, served up in a tall Tupperware cup.

    She gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy,
      "Happy, happy, happy!"

      I totally agree, thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Good thoughts to remember, Edie. I find myself frequently discouraged about blogging. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammie, you have a great blog! Take a step back, find your passion, and remember to have fun!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Can't say I've ever watched Duck Dynasty, but...

    I've learned so much about blogging from you, Edie! (I featured some of what you taught me on my blog today)

    One of the most important parts of blogging that I've learned this past year is to search for most commonly Googled topics and then incorporate some of those ideas into your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you are such a great encouragement! And one of the best students I've had. You've just hit that hurdle of 1000 Twitter followers...in less than a year!

      Thanks for all the support! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I've never seen Duck Dynasty, but I so appreciate some of the lessons you mentioned--especially the importance of being yourself. God made each of us unique. I love the picture of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, you should try to catch an episode. And you're right, being ourselves is the greatest gift we can give anyone, on or off line! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Love this post and love the picture of your family. My goodness, how your family has changed since we first met! God has certainly blessed both of us, hasn't He?

    And yes, this is another post that is right on! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonda, we have come a long way, haven't we! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. A friend and I are in the process of developing a blog. Sitting here, pondering your suggestions, I've come to the conclusion that I spend too much time worrying about the prettiness of our website. While I want it to be visually appealing and easy to navigate, perhaps I should be focusing more of my time and energy on producing relevant and encouraging content for potential readers.

    I love your husband's posts! How wonderful to be able to share this part of your lives together. You have a beautiful family!

    We don't have cable, so I've never seen Duck Dynasty. I hope it comes to Netflix, so we can see what all the buzz is about! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarissa, it's hard to find a balance between aesthetics and content--and really nobody arrives. We're all constantly adjusting!

      As far as Duck Dynasty, you can watch entire episodes online. Just go to the A&E website!

      Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. I started a blog a month ago, Sherry's Light Blog, and I post on Fridays. I think I have 2 followers - me and a friend :) It's hard not to be discouraged but I'll just keep putting it out there and leave the numbers up to God. So far, I've learned so much and had so much fun that I just can get hung up on the "followers."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Edie for always being a source of inspiration and encouragement. In this busy writing world, social media can easily distract us in the wrong ways. Your points are well taken. Can I add don't forget to enjoy the process as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to comment since I'm from Louisiana and live about an hour from where the Robertsons live. :)

    Great tips, Edie! Glad yall are enjoying the show.

    Just please don't think all Louisianans blow duck calls and love unruly beards. (You wouldn't imagine what people thought about La after watching "The Waterboy." lol)

    We do tend to love boiled crawfish and super sweet tea though! hehe. You know a good bit about La, Edie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, mercy, Edie. The two fellas in my house are big Duck Dynasty fans. I don't mind when my 8 yr. old son injects a random, "Hey!" in his conversations but I draw the line when he starts calling me Jack. :)
    I like that each character on the show has his/her own unique qualities, quirks, and drawbacks. It shows their shortcomings as well as their strengths. I'm learning not everything can be as sweet as southern tea when I write.
    "You got that right, Jack."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope Toler DoughertyApril 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

    Edie, I didn't want to like Duck Dynasty. Did we need another "reality" show? Did we need another Hee Haw? Absolutely not, I thought--until somehow I saw a few minutes of one show. Sometimes I do cringe at the topic, but I always laugh, especially at Si. Thanks for your thoughtful post.
    Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete