Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It’s a Date—Use the Calendar to Write Brilliant Blog Posts and Articles


Lately I’ve spoken to a lot of folks who are having problems coming up with ideas for blog posts. My suggestion, look no further than the calendar. Utilizing the calendar anyone can write brilliant blog posts and articles.

This technique can also make any writer a favorite with magazine editors. It’s difficult to come up with unique ideas for a monthly magazine and any writer who can help is a valuable commodity.

You may wonder, like I did, what it takes to get a special day on the calendar. Well, getting a NATIONAL day is tough—and expensive. It literally involves an act of congress. If you’re really interested in going this route, the place to start is with your local congressman.

But, there’s an easier option. You can just declare the day whatever you wish. Sometimes these things catch on, and sometimes they’re here one year and gone after that.

To jumpstart your creativity, below is a list of all the special days I could find through my research.

Now here’s a challenge for you. Share an idea that utilizes one or more of these intriguing holidays in the comment section below!

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

The Month of March is designated as:
  • National Cheerleading Safety Month
  • Irish American Month
  • Music in Our Schools Month
  • National Craft Month
  • National Frozen Food Month
  • National Irish American Heritage Month- designated by Congress in 1995.
  • National Nutrition Month
  • National Peanut Month
  • National Women's History Month
  • Red Cross Month
  • Social Workers Month 

The 2nd week of March is: 
  • National Bubble Week
  • Crochet Week

DAILY DESIGNATIONS: 
1 Employee Appreciation Day first Friday in March
1 National Pig Day
1 National Salesperson Day - first Friday in the month
1 Peanut Butter Lovers' Day
2 Old Stuff Day
2 Dr. Seuss Day (It’s his birthday)
3 I Want You to be Happy Day
3 If Pets Had Thumbs Day
3 National Anthem Day
3 Peach Blossom Day
3 Namesake Day
4 Holy Experiment Day
4 Hug a GI Day
4 Fun Facts about Names Day
5 Multiple Personality Day
5 Unique Names Day
6 Dentist's Day
6 National Frozen Food Day
7 National Crown Roast of Pork Day
7 National Cereal Day
8 Be Nasty Day
8 International (Working) Women's Day
8 Proofreading Day
9 National Agriculture Day
9 Panic Day
9 Barbie Day
10 Middle Name Pride Day
10 Day of Awesomeness
11 Johnny Appleseed Day
11 Plumbing Day
11 Worship of Tools Day
12 Girl Scouts Day
12 Plant a Flower Day
12 Organize Your Office Day
13 Ear Muff Day
13 Jewel Day
13 No Smoking Day
14 Learn about Butterflies Day
14 National Potato Chip Day
14 National Pi Day (Because today is 3.14, the value of Pi.)
14 Popcorn Lover's Day second Thursday
15 Everything You Think is Wrong Day
15 Ides of March
15 Incredible Kid Day
15 True Confessions Day
16 Everything You Do is Right Day
16 Freedom of Information Day
16 National Quilting Day
16 Lips Appreciation Day
17 Submarine Day
17 Saint Patrick's Day
18 Goddess of Fertility Day
18 Supreme Sacrifice Day
18 Biodiesel Day
18 National Awkward Moments Day
19 Poultry Day
19 Chocolate Caramel Day
20 International Earth Day
20 Extraterrestrial Abductions Day
20 Proposal Day
20 Corn Dog Day
20 Spring (Vernal) Equinox
21 Fragrance Day
21 Common Courtesy Day
22 National Goof Off Day
22 As Young As You Feel Day
23 National Chip and Dip Day
23 Near Miss Day
23 Purim (begins at sundown)
24 National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day
24 Palm Sunday (varies from year to year)
25 Pecan Day
25 Waffle Day
25 Feast of the Annunciation
25 Passover (begins at sundown, lasts eight days)
26 Make Up Your Own Holiday Day
27 National "Joe" Day
27 Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day
28 Something on a Stick Day
28 Week Appreciation Day
29 Good Friday (varies from year to year)
29 National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day
29 Smoke and Mirrors Day
29 Niagara Falls Runs Dry Day
30 National Doctor's Day
30 I am in Control Day
30 Take a Walk in the Park Day
31 Bunsen Burner Day
31 Easter Sunday (varies from year to year)
31 National Clam on the Half Shell Day

31 comments:

  1. As a post starter, you are right. There is endless fodder here. But on a practical scale, I can't help but think that when everything becomes special, nothing is. Good Grief. National Crown Roast of Pork Day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! What will they think of next? Thanks so much for dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Yesterday was National Grammar Day. I didn't take advantage of it because I'm doing a monthly series on gleaning writing ideas from the 10 Commandments. I post each one on the first Monday of the month. But, I will definitely take advantage of it next year. For writers, National Grammar Day is one of our very special holidays. :-)

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, that's a great idea for a series of blog posts. I've loved following along! I had fun with National Grammar Day yesterday, not on my blog, but on my Facebook page and on Twitter. Thanks so much for taking time to comment! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Edie, what a fun post! I have to laugh at the "I am in control" day. So many times, we want to be in control...and we think we are! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, that is a fun one. When I had kids I learned, once and for all that I'm not in control! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Great advice, Edie...as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, of course it's National Frozen Food month. The ladies over at Seekerville are doing Speedbo, so no one is actually cooking.

    And I have every intention of celebrating I AM IN CONTROL DAY. That is, if my family will let me.

    Great post, Edie. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, that's absolutely right! Such a great idea from the brilliant minds of Seekerville! For those of you who don't know what it is slip over and check it out...www.seekerville.blogspot.com . You'll be glad you did! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. I have to laugh at the" National I am In Control Day." What happens when two (or more) people believe that and they're at odds with each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, hopefully those celebrating National I am In Control Day aren't in the same house or same family! Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. I notice there's no "You Are In Control" Day...hmmm. Maybe that's the "Pick Your Own Holiday" day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyn, but there is! It's on March 30th. You can choose something else for pick your own holiday, day. (Wow that's an awkward sentence!) Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. If you, like me, tend to panic regularly over anything from being five minutes late to worrying about whether or not your sixteen-year-old will be in a car accident, you will be delighted to hear of the well-kept secret that March 9th is National Panic Day.

    It's freeing to know there is a day set aside just for panic. Since learning about it, I have been saving my panic sessions. When I feel the urge to panic begin to rise in my inner-most being, I simply write down the reason for panicking and stick the note in a jar. On March 9th, I will spend the day reading my notes and panicking! By accumulating my urges to panic for one specific day a year, I save time, energy, and resources.

    I’d like to thank those involved in designing this day. I’m a better person for it. (My family thanks you, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I love your idea for that day! I'm going to try that. Thanks so much for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. It was sort of tongue in cheek ;-) but I think I will post this on my blogsite on Saturday (March 9th) just for fun. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  9. Where did you find all this information? I'd love to have an exhaustive list of the whole year! Not that I'll use it often, but it would be fun to reference for those less-inspired days. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, I spent several hours compiling the list. And through my work, I've decided to post the list for the next month at the end of the month. So I'll be posting April's list the end of this month. I started out by typing "Special Days in March" into the search engine. Then I just kept searching. There are probably even more days out there, I just quit after several hours because I had other stuff I needed to get done. Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Wow! I didn't realize that EVERY day is a SPECIAL day for SOMETHING!!!!!
    Thanks Edie for always giving us such useful information to help us in our writing.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I was shocked when I found out how many designations there are for days of the month. Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. Dearest Edie, National Chocolate and Carmel Day is on my birthday.... Good to know! Now everyone will know what to get me.... HINT HINT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, Good to know! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  12. Great idea, Edie.
    Not only would these make good springboards for blog material, but many will provide great material for teacher's magazines and family magazines. Designing a teaching unit for days like National Potato Chip Day could incorporate all five senses and involve every subject. I think all kids would enjoy learning with potato chips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, that's a GREAT idea! We could even apply your thoughts to homeschooling venues. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  13. I too like "I'm in Control Day"....something that befalls all of us...so grateful when I blow it, the Lord forgives as I once again give Him full surrrender of my day. Only then do His words start to flow again!
    Thanks for sharing this great post,Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, great application for that day! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  14. Hmmmm, National Bubble Month ... I have a dear friend who says I can find the spiritual application in bubble gum, not that it's the same thing but I have been thinking of transitioning one of my blogs into more of a devotional site. This is a great list for my Ears In The Cornfield blog as I can see how some of them relate to my mother. My other blog, When My Father Wakes Up is a bit more challenging as it's focus is my brother and addiction but i'm sure somewhere there's an artist appreciation day or big brother day. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa, I definitely want to read that post! I think you have some great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing them with us, Blessings, E

      Delete
  15. Fun, fun, fun post, Edie. Sharing.

    ReplyDelete