Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weekend Worship—Energized or Enervated: The Power of Words


These words I speak to you are not mere additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundation words, words to build a life on. Luke 6:46-47 (The Message)
  
I get a lot of joy from the blogs I follow. They bring energy when I’m down and life to an otherwise lackluster day. These are frequently written by people I’ve worked with or met at conferences or who’ve been in my classes. Be warned, if you’ve been one of my students, I do keep up with you.

Many have commented that they wonder how I keep up with so many. I readily admit I don’t read every blog, every day. If I did, I’d never get anything done.

But I do pay attention to the post titles and try to pay attention to that gentle tap on my spiritual shoulder when I need to stop and read one. It’s ALWAYS a blessing. God has spoken to me so clearly through so many of you. I wish I had the time to tell each of you in person how you’ve impacted my life. I know I could never adequately explain, so my prayer is that, in Heaven, you’ll get to see the result of your faithfulness.


That said, I also read a lot of stuff through social media. There are short updates, and advertisements of blogs I don’t follow. Sometimes I find a hidden gem, but more often than not, these blogs have the opposite affect on my spirit, leaving me enervated and sad.

The contrast between these two types of writings have made me wonder about my own words. Am I exemplifying Jesus and bringing life with my words, or am I draining life from someone who is already hurting? I’m not talking about watering down the Truth of God’s Word. But I am talking about the motive behind my words. Do I quickly dash off something because I think someone needs to learn a lesson? Or maybe I  write something harsh because I or, even worse, someone I love, has been hurt?

In light of what I’ve seen, I’ll be choosing my words with more care, more love, and a heart of compassion.


Don't forget to join the conversation.


Blessings,
Edie











2 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right about the power of words. They mean more than we often realize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Edie. I have to really watch it, because I can easily become stuck on the negative instead of the positive. I try to end with something uplifting, because I get so much out of others' blogs and articles that end that way. Thanks for the reminder; it certainly bears repeating!

    ReplyDelete