Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekend Worship - God's Timing is Always Perfect

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes. Ps 37:7 (NIV)

I don’t know about you, but waiting patiently isn’t in my top ten of favorite things to do—it’s actually closer to somewhere in the bottom ten. I hate being patient, whatever it is—I want it, and I want it now. I would like to think I’m a product of my times and environment. After all, we live in a world of the instant now. How nice it would be to put the blame somewhere other than my immaturity.

But God has shown me that’s all impatience is, immaturity with a mask. This has been particularly true with my writing life So many times, if God had given me the answer the moment I asked, I would have missed out on so much. I would have missed the sweet prayer time, the fellowship with others who shared in my journey, and the ultimate joy of something anticipated and achieved. I would have also missed out on being used by God to teach and comfort others as they saw Him work in my life.

Most important, God has shown me that had I rushed His timing, I'd have traded an immediate good for an ultimate best. For years I've enjoyed success in my freelance writing, but an idea that led to a published book proved elusive. I watched my contemporaries and even some of those I've mentored land contracts with no success of my own. I cried out to God, asked why and received no satisfactory answer. Then, this very month, the magic happened. I now have joined the ranks of those contracted authors. Even better is the book God chose for my first.

My first book will be a devotional for those with loved ones serving in the military. I wish I could share the gift this book is to me. Our oldest son served in the Marine Corps. He went straight from high school to boot camp to Iraq. I truly believe this book is one of the many ways God is redeeming that time of struggle in our family's life. So yes, I had to wait, but it was worth it!

7 comments:

  1. Praising the Lord with you! Congratulations. May He use this devotional to comfort and encourage others, while bringing glory to Himself!!

    Merissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Merissa - that's my prayer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you. Do you have a release date yet? Keep us informed on how to order a copy when available...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement as I wait longer and know you are right on target - it's my immaturity that keeps my impatience close and my faith pushed away. I look forward to your book - my dad was in the military...my proudest memories I have of him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Edie! I can't wait to meet you and Vonda in October at the writer's retreat. I only have $30.00 to go to complete my payment. Praise the Lord. He is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the encouragement about waiting for God's timing! Can't wait to read the book, especially on this subject. I know of some military families, and I pray God uses it to bless many hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan, I can hardly wait till the retreat either!
    Katy, thanks for the encouragement!
    Belssings to you both.

    ReplyDelete