Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday Review - Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference

I've been attending the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference for 9 years now. This year, May 16-19, I got to meet many of you in my classes or through 15 minute appointments. Although Blue Ridge isn't the first writers conference I've attended, it's definitely one of my favorites. Today I'll share why.

Warning, Grammar Note: Many of you have asked me why there isn't an apostrophe in "Writers" in the above conference title. It's because the writers attending don't possess the conference - they don't own it. The word is plural, not possessive.

Blue Ridge is one of the bigger Christian writers conferences so it has plenty to offer, no matter what level you're at in your career. The director, Alton Gansky, goes to great lengths to insure there are classes on everything from memoirs to marketing, all sprinkled with truths from God's Word. This year there were approx 40 faculty members and almost 370 attendees. It made for some heady worship times in the general sessions and lots of smaller God moments.

If you're anywhere on the eastern side of the continent, then attending Blue Ridge is almost a no brainer. This year there were several agents and book editors taking appointments. There were also several magazines and devotion markets represented. All of these are opportunities for the attendees to get their work seen and in some cases, contracted.

For those who find themselves on the western side of the continent, Al has a new conference this year - Southwest Christian Writers Studio - October 19-22, 2010. This is a more exclusive conference, taking only the first 100 who register. Knowing what Al has done with Blue Ridge, I don't hesitate to also recommend this conference.

Stop by and tell me what you thought of Blue Ridge this year, whether you were a new attendee or one who's been going for years.
Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

4 comments:

  1. I was a first-time attendee - first time for any writers conference. It was a life-changer for me, and I'm continuing to receive revelation from the Lord as I follow-up with all the information I received from teaching, interaction with other writers, and from the Lord Himself!

    I had nothing to bring for publishing, so had much less stress than what I observed with others who did; however, I know I will be in a completely different place next time - ready to go to the next level.

    Your classes and approachability were a great part of this life-changing experience for me, Edie. Thank you!

    Kay Stocking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay,
    I'm so glad you had a great experience! I loved getting to meet you - and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
    Blessings,
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderfully energizing. Writing can be a lonely sport. Appreciate all you did to make the newbies welcome and informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edie,
    It was my first and my favorite!!! I was overwhelmed with how great everyone was and the amount of viable information that I could take home and use immediately! What an invaluable investment of time and money. And the resources of precious people and relevant knowledge . . . oh my goodness! There are not words enough to describe how full my writing pockets were stuffed!!

    ReplyDelete